Diabetes and Depression

I am T2, diagnosed 10 years ago, taking metformin, gliclazide and sitagliptin. I live on my own, have not worked for 2 1/2 years and have no relatives or real friends to speak of. I can go for a week at a time without speaking to another person socially face to face. I suffer from serious depression for which I have anti-depressants and also take medication for my blood pressure.
Shortly after Christmas last year I had a blister on the underneath of my right foot, which I did not notice until it had burst. The wound became infected and required antibiotics to clear up the infection. I attend the diabetic foot clinic at a hospital every fortnight and have the dressing changed twice a week. I wear a Medishoe and am continually told that I need to keep off my foot, which is difficult when I live on my own.
All of this has been adding to my depression. I find it extremely difficult to motivate myself to do anything. I only eat one meal a day (and sometimes not that). I know that my diabetes is not really under control and sometimes, due to my depression, I forget to take some or all of my medication (despite having a pillbox and alarms on my mobile phone) and I am afraid that I have reached a point where I don’t really care. If I could find the courage I think that I would end it all.

know not, what your circumstances are or that I have any right to tell you what to do.
However, I was in a bad place a few years ago. I was ill and I didn’t know what was happening to me and my docs didn’t have the answer to my symptoms.
I fought back, kept going back asking for their help and even someone to try and understand me and what was going on. To talk them through, the pain and depression of my symptoms.
I fought like hell, to get diagnosed, despite the tide flowing against me.

Now, Phil, a symptom of uncontrolled diabetes is lethargy and even depression.

You can only change your diet. How do you get your shopping?
What do you eat, even though it’s not much?

I got a lot of help and took advice from the great posters on here, there will be more messages following from those who have suffered depression.
I expect a few more words of comfort.

The bottom line is mate, you have to make choices, get back on to your docs and insist your not coping and get them to help you, that’s what they are there for.

If I can fight, you can, you’ve been really brave by taking a first step by posting here. Listen to their advice and don’t give up mate!

Hope this has helped