Roll up this delicious eggplant dish to get a hearty dose of vegetarian protein.
1 Medium-size eggplant
1 cup ricotta cheese
4 tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 cup jarred marinara sauce
Ounce for ounce, Parmigiano-Reggiano has one of the highest protein amounts of any cheese. Combined with ricotta, this meal provides 50 grams of protein.
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and place a rack over a large baking sheet.
2. Cut the ends off eggplant. Cut it lengthwise into 1⁄4- to 1⁄2-inch-thick slices.
3. Place eggplant on rack; add a pinch of salt and set aside for 15 minutes to release liquid; bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Mix ricotta, egg, and Parmigiano-Reggiano in a large bowl.
5. Add mixture to eggplant slices and roll up tightly.
6. Spread 1⁄4 cup of sauce in a 9-by-13 baking dish.
7. Place eggplant rolls on top of sauce seam side down.
8. Top with remaining sauce and bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.