Uncontrolled for such a long time

I am 43 years old, I was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 in 1999, The doctor gave me a test in the office and the numbers on the machine was HHH for too high to read when I was diagnosed. I believe I had diabetes much earlier than that. I really never accepted the Diabetes and have not been in control since never! I test randomly and take my meds and insulin when I feel like it or remember, I’ve never had an A1C lower than 8.9 since I was diagnosed my worst A1C was 11.1. I now have two grandchildren and I think of all the damage I have done to my body and can I fix it? Is it even worth it now? I fear I might have a heart attack, stroke and not have a chance to fix it. I’ve been living in denial and I really want to change that. I eat really bad stuff like fast food and chocolate is my downfall. I just need to find some support and know that there is still time to get the diabetes under control. I currently take Metformin 1000 mgs 2 x day (that I take everyday) and Insulin I’m supposed to be on Lantus 35 units in the morning and 25 in the evening (but I hardly take that I’m scared of having lows) and I have Humalog on a sliding scale but I hardly take that! Here are some problems that I’ve had with the diabetes:

1. Skin problems (I get boils that hurt very much)

2. My legs are so scarred from bumps that never heal right.

3. I’ve lost 7 or 8 teeth since I’ve been diagnosed, I have periodontal disease I will lose all my teeth eventually

I’m just really scared and I need to find a good group of people to support me through this and I found this place!

I have three kids ages 25 (girl married has 2 children), 21 (girl in college) and 18 (son in last year of HS)

Any help and support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for listening

Hi, there are many folks that are in denial about their health. I think the first thing you might want to do to get back on track is talk to an Diabetologist and his dietitian and get on some kind of schedule.

Folks can offer help and support but you are the only one in control. Maybe talk to a close friend, you have, to help you stay on track until you form a habit would be one of my suggestions.

It’s never to late to take control of ourselves. Where there is a will there is a way.

Keep us updated on your progress dear.

I say as long as you are above ground, it is never too late. It might take some time to get things under control, but it will be well worth the effort.

We can support you, but you ultimately have to do the work.
I agree with grannie. See an endo and dietitian if you are serious about making improvements.
It takes preparation and planning on your part. Yes…it is inconvenient at times, but it is what it is.
Once you start feeling better, you will like that feeling and can use it as a means to sticking to your regimen.
I have a 4 year old grand daughter and I LOVE having that extra energy and well being so I can keep up with her.
I love feeling well. I love having all my limbs, eye sight, and kidney function.
I no longer smoke, eat bad food (I cheat from time to time…but no fast foods). If I have a busy day, I pack a lunch/meal and put it in my little igloo. I always carry fiber one bars or some sorta snack as I go into hypo easily and I’m not always able to eat at a regularly scheduled time as I take care of my mom.
I now prefer to pack a lunch over eating at a fast food place.

I hope you continue to come here to share your progress and for us to give you ideas on how to help yourself.
Be kind, patient, and good to yourself. You can do this!